Becoming human resource development leaders requires a diverse skill set. Attributes of successful HRD leaders include superior business acumen, a background in the social sciences, excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization. A master’s degree in human resource and leadership development can help expand your HR skill set.
HR Skill Set Attributes from an Educational Perspective
Human resource development leaders may want to earn a master’s degree, but they cannot take the time away from their careers to do so. An online master’s degree in Human Resource and Leadership Development (HRLD) from an accredited school offers the flexibility working professionals need. Students can complete some master’s programs in HRLD in as little as one year. These programs often provide specializations in areas such as leadership, organizational development or human resource management that let students focus on a particular area that matches their professional interests. Desirable attributes for candidates pursuing an HRLD master’s degree include the following:
- Strong social skills and a team perspective.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Decision-making skills.
- Leadership and motivational skills.
- Organization and multitasking.
HR Skills Desired by Employers
A human resources development leader is often responsible for recruiting, hiring and developing high-quality employees and ensuring solid work performance. HR skill sets usually prepare leaders for the following responsibilities:
- Organizing business structures.
- Analyzing information to make appropriate decisions.
- Communicating and negotiating with employees and executives.
- Following ethical guidelines and maintaining confidentiality.
- Advocating for employees while enforcing managerial policies.
- Understanding change and managing its effect on employees and programs.
- Managing benefit programs and employee resources.
- Training employees and recruiting new hires with appropriate credentials.
- Designing and implementing employee performance evaluations.
An online master’s degree in HRLD can give you a foundation in all of these areas. Candidates take courses covering topics in management, organization, behavioral theory, data collection, work performance, resources, training and development that build on and strengthen HR skill set competencies. Graduates of these programs are prepared to assume new responsibilities in positions such as organizational development director, training specialist, or HR manager. A master’s in Human Resource and Leadership Development can yield career success.
Have a question or concern about this article? Please contact us.