- Ph.D. Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI, 2015
- M.S. Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI, 2010
- B.A. Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, 2008
Eileen Haebig is an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Louisiana State University and the director of the Language and Neurodevelopmental Trajectories Lab (Language NeT Lab). Dr. Haebig’s research focuses on language learning in children with neurodevelopmental disorders. She uses a multi-level approach to address her overarching research questions. As such, her research has incorporated behavioral coding, eye tracking, language sample analysis, and event related brain potentials (ERPs) to examine language learning and processing in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), specific language impairment (SLI), and fragile X syndrome (FXS). Dr. Haebig’s research has highlighted areas of overlap and distinction in language phenotypes across populations with neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Cox, C. R., & Haebig, E. (2023). Child-oriented word associations improve models of early word learning. Behavior Research Methods. 55(1), 16-37, dio: 10.3758/s13428-022-01790-y
- Haebig, E., Jiménez, E., Cox, C., & Hills, T. T. (2021). Characterizing the early vocabulary profiles of preverbal and minimally verbal children with autism spectrum disorder. Autism.25(4), 985-970, doi:10.1177/1362361320973799
- Haebig, E., Leonard, L. B., Deevy, P., Schumaker, J., Karpicke, J., & Weber, C. (2021). The Neural underpinnings of processing newly taught semantic information: The role of retrieval practice, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 64(8), 3195-3211.
- Haebig, E., Leonard, L. B., Deevy, P., Karpicke, J., Christ, S. L., Usler, E., ... & Weber, C. (2019). Retrieval-based word learning in young typically developing children and children with development language disorder II: A comparison of retrieval schedules. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 62(4), 944-964.
- Haebig, E., Leonard, L., Usler, E., Deevy, P., & Weber, C. (2018). An initial investigation of the neural correlates of word processing in preschoolers with specific language impairment. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 61(3), 729-739.
- Haebig, E., Saffran, J., & Ellis Weismer (2017). Statistical word learning in children with autism spectrum disorder and specific language impairment. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 58(11).
- Haebig, E., Weber, C., Leonard, L. B., Deevy, P., & Tomblin, J. B. (2017). Neural indices of language processing in adolescents with language impairment: An assessment of language trajectories. Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 9, 1-22.
- Haebig, E., Sterling, A., & Hoover, J. (2016). Examining the language phenotype in children with typical development, specific language impairment, and fragile X syndrome. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 59(5), 1046-1058.
- Ellis Weismer, S., Haebig, E., Edwards, J., Saffran, J., & Venker, C. E. (2016). Lexical processing in toddlers with ASD: Does weak central coherence play a role? Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 46(12), 3755-3769.
- Haebig, E., Kaushanskaya, M., & Ellis Weismer, S. (2015). Lexical processing in school-age children with autism spectrum disorder and children with specific language impairment: The role of semantics. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 45(12), 4109-4123.
- Haebig, E., McDuffie, A., & Weismer, S. E. (2013). The contribution of two categories of parent verbal responsiveness to later language for toddlers and preschoolers on the autism spectrum. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 22(1), 57-70.
- National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) R21 Early
Career Researcher award - 2022 - 2025
Retrieval-Based Word Learning in Autism Spectrum Disorder
Role: PI $535,785
- Research Competitiveness Subprogram - Louisiana Board of Regents grant, 2020 - 2023
- Word Knowledge in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Developing Lexicon
- Role: PI $123,574
- ASHA New Invstigators Research Grant
- Retrieval-Based Word Learning in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Role: PI $10,000
- LSU Manship Summer Stipend 2019 Award
- Council on Research Summer Stipend 2018 Award
- NIH F31 DC013485 Predoctoral Fellowship (2013 – 2015).
- Emma Allen Foundation Grant (2015).
- Vickie Lord Larson and James R. Larson Research Grant (2015).
Awards & Technical Training
- 2022 LSU Alumni Association Rising Faculty Research Award
- 2017 Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2) Research Reliability Training and Certification
- 2015 – 2017 Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institutes of Health Training Grant (T32 DC000030-24, PI: Laurence Leonard
- 2016 Trainee for ASHA’s Lessons for Success program, National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (U13 DC007835 11, PI: Margaret Rogers)
- 2016 Trainee for the ERP Boot Camp, National Institute of Mental Health (R25 MH080794 10, PI: Steven Luck)
- 2011 – 2013 Predoctoral Fellowship, National Institutes of Health Training Grant (T32 DC05359-06, PI: Susan Ellis Weismer)
- Louisiana Board of Examiners – Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (2017 – present)
- American Speech-Language and Hearing Association (ASHA), Certificate of Clinical Competence
- Society for Research in Child Language Development (2009 – 2015)
- Wisconsin Speech-Language-Pathology and Audiology Association (2004 – 2015)