Accelerated MA Program
LSU COMD students who are in their junior year and who have accumulated sufficient BA hours to take at least 6 to 9 hours of 7000 level course credit in their senior year may apply for the Accelerated MA Program (AMP). This may include a) students on-schedule to graduate in the fall with at least a 3.5 GPA and eligible for the by invitation only Spring admission, or b) students on-schedule to graduation in the spring with at least a 3.5 GPA and eligible for summer admission.
Fall admit to AMP enables students to take one 7000 level course in the fall and two in the spring before graduation in the BA program (i.e., senior year). Spring admit to AMP enables students to take two 7000 level courses in the spring before graduation in the BA program.
This early entry will enable students to complete graduate hours under their TOPS or other undergraduate scholarship and to graduate from the MA program typically one semester early. To participate, candidates must meet the criteria for acceptance into the Communication Sciences and Disorders master’s program. If the candidate’s grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.5 is maintained and the student is in good standing within the department, he/she will be eligible to attain full acceptance to graduate school immediately following graduation from the BA program. If the GPA drops below 3.5, the student is dismissed from the AMP program by the graduate school and must apply for regular admission.
To be considered for the Accelerated MA programs, students must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.5 at the time of application through graduation.
- Have completed at least 60 credit hours (transfer students at least one semester at LSU)
- Competed planned to be enrolled in prerequisite coursework
- Have sufficient available hours in senior year to take 3 to 9 hours of graduate coursework
- Submit a completed 2-page COMD Accelerated Master’s Program Application listing COMD UG courses completed and remaining to the UG advisor.
- Submit a written paper completed in a course or in response to the AMPs prompt
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, supervisors or others who can speak about your potential for success in the COMD graduate program.
- If your application is accepted by COMD, submit a completed LSU Grad School Application for Accelerated MA Admissions (i.e., apply to COMD, then apply to Grad School AMP) at Request for Accelerated Master's Program.
- An application to graduate school for the MA program should be completed before the BA degree is awarded to transition to graduate student status.
Semester to begin AMP courses
|COMD AMP Forms to UG advisor||Full Application to COMD||COMD AMP committee decision||Signed application sent to Grad AMP Officer; Apply to grad AMP program||Final day to add classes (grad officer)|
|Fall Senior Yr||May 20 jr yr||June 1 jr yr||July 30||August 10||Sept 1 sr yr|
|Spring Sr Yr||Oct 20 sr yr||Nov 1 sr yr||Nov 30||Dec 10||Jan 27 sr yr|