I-94 Document

Upon admission to the United States, the port of entry officer will place an admission stamp in your passport, indicating the place of admission, date of admission, class of admission, and the expiration date of your immigration status. The officer will create an electronic record which will immediately be available on the website. You will be able to access the website and to print out the electronic record by providing your biographic information and passport and entry information. This printout is your paper I-94. You should print out this I-94 as soon as you arrive at LSU, it will be required by government agencies when you apply for benefits such as a driver’s license, social security number and to prove your employment eligibility.

The Form I-94 is a very important document, it is proof of:

  • Your lawful admission to the United States;
  • Your class of admission i.e.: F-1 student status;
  • The date you entered the United States; and
  • The authorized period of stay i.e., "Admitted until: D/S" or duration of status.

If you are unable to print out your I-94, at your earliest please call (225) 578-3191 to schedule an appointment to see an advisor for assistance.

International Services OrientationCurrent LSU International Students are Traveling Outside the US

Travel during Graduation Semester: Please contact to verify that you will be able to travel. There are complicated issues with traveling during your last semester or if you are considering Degree-Only registration. You could lose the opportunity to re-enter the U.S. as an F-1 student or apply for OPT, so please make sure you contact our office if you are considering travel during your graduating semester.

For re-entry into the US to continue your studies, you should have the following:

  • A valid, current, and accurate SEVIS I-20 (for F-1/F-2 status) or DS-2019 (for J-1/J-2 status). Copies of previous I-20’s or DS-2019’s, especially if you have enrolled at one or more institutions prior to enrollment at LSU should also be taken with you. Your current immigration form must have an endorsement signature in the travel authorization section of the form. Technically this signature is valid for one (1) year, but we recommend one that is no older than six (6) months from the date you plan to return. You can make multiple trips using the same signature during this six month period. Only IS advisors may endorse this form.

Note: If the DS-2019 for your J-1/-J2 status was issued by an agency other than LSU, you must send the original form to THAT agency for a travel signature.

  • A valid (unexpired) passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six (6) months after the date you plan to re-enter the US. If you need to renew your passport, contact your embassy in the US ( or OR the appropriate authority in your home country.
  • A valid (unexpired) US visa stamp. A student and/or student dependent (F-1/F-2 or J-1/J-2) visa must be valid on the date you plan to re-enter the US AND have an “M” for unlimited multiple entries. If your visa has expired OR you have a single entry visa you will need to apply for a new visa during your trip. For F and J visa holders who are visiting Canada, Mexico, or certain adjacent islands in the Caribbean for only less than 30 calendar days, please view Automatic Visa Revalidation.

Note: A valid US visa contained in an expired passport remains valid (if the passport is in your possession) until the visa expires, is cancelled or revoked. **If you must renew your visa while outside the US or will be outside the US for more than 5 months, review the US Consulate information.

  • Documentary Proof of Funding. You should have with you bank statements, an assistantship letter, a scholarship letter, an Affidavit of Support, and/or any combination thereof to prove full financial support. The amount and the source(s) of funding should match the information on your I-20 or DS-2019.
  •  Copies of your LSU transcript. A copy of your LSU transcript will prove you have been a full-time student in good standing since your enrollment as an F-1 or J-1 student. This transcript will be your proof of enrollment for all past semesters. If you have violated the requirement of full-time enrollment, you should contact an IS advisor for advice. If you were enrolled at another US institution as an F-1 or J-1 prior to enrollment at LSU, you should have a copy of that institution’s transcript(s) as well. If you were granted part-time enrollment permission for any semester, please carry that documentation. Official transcripts and/or letters of verification of enrollment may be obtained at the Office of University Registrar (112 Thomas Boyd Hall).
  •  Proof of pre-registration for the next semester. If you are traveling between semesters and are pre-registered for future terms, the Office of University Registrar (112 Thomas Boyd Hall) may be able to provide this verification. You can also print your pre-registered schedule from your ‘My LSU’ account.
  • A valid LSU Student ID card can also be supporting documentation of your status as an LSU student in the US.
  •  Graduate Students: A letter from your graduate advisor or major professor verifying your academic progress toward completion of the degree(s) noted on your I-20 or DS-2019. Any problems you have had which have affected your progress should be mentioned, especially if you have extended your study period (see completion date listed in #5 of your I-20 or in #4 of your DS-2019) or had unsatisfactory ratings on your thesis or dissertation research marked as grades on your transcript. It is also helpful if they explain your specific research topic(s) and its practical application(s) to assist with any US government security clearances.

Foreign Visa: If you are traveling to a country other than your home country, you may need a visitor’s visa for that country. Also, if your flight home requires a stop in a third country, you need to find out if a transit visa is required by that country and, if so, if you must obtain it prior to your trip. Embassy information and telephone numbers are found at U.S. Department of State website. The most common “transit visa” is for flights stopping in the United Kingdom. 

LSU graduates who are currently on OPT will find information about travel on the IS web site under “Optional Practical Training”. If they have further questions, they should email

If you have been arrested and/or charged with ANY crime here in the U.S., including both felonies and misdemeanors (such as a DUI), we recommend that you seek legal advice before attempting any overseas travel as you may likely be denied re-entry. We highly discourage travel even for students whose criminal record has been expunged unless they have received legal review, advice and clearance.

When you return, make sure to provide our office with copies of your:

  1. New F-1/J-1 Visa Stamp (if applicable to you)
  2. New/Renewed Passport (if applicable to you)
  3. New I-94 record

Students who travel outside the US to the areas/countries of the world identified on the ‘LSU Proof of Immunization Compliance – Tuberculosis Questionnaire’ form will need to have a repeat TB screening three months after you return to the US. You may have this done at the LSU SHC or provide that documentation of the TB screening to the LSU SHC. If you have questions, please contact the LSU Student Health Center at: