J-1 Exchange Visitor Status for Student Interns

Culture Sample

The U.S. Department of State allows students who are enrolled in degree programs at home universities outside the US to be sponsored for internships as J-1 Student Interns in the US. LSU uses the J-1 Student Intern category for undergraduate students from academic institutions outside the US coming to LSU to engage in internship activities. Student interns may participate in a student internship program for up to 12 months for each degree/major. The internship must be full-time; that is, consisting of 32 hours per week. The internship may be with or without wages or other compensation. However, the student must provide evidence of personal or other funding sufficient to cover all travel, health insurance, and living expenses for the period of internship. The student must have a faculty sponsor at LSU who must agree to train and supervise the student and to provide the International Service (IS) the training plan.

Information for J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholars and Student Interns