About the Executive Vice President & Provost
The Executive Vice President & Provost reports directly to the LSU President, William F. Tate IV, who serves as the chief executive officer of the flagship institution as well as the statewide system. The Executive Vice President & Provost serves as the chief operating and chief academic officer for LSU’s flagship campus in Baton Rouge, the chief academic officer for all LSU campuses across the state, and the chief academic advisor to the President. The Provost coordinates and consults with all chief academic officers throughout the LSU enterprise to advance the university’s overall academic programs statewide.
Job Responsibilities - All Campuses
- Supports and facilitates the academic enterprise throughout all LSU institutions, especially as the primary interface with the LSU Board of Supervisors and the Louisiana Board of Regents.
- Assists the President in the university’s academic and research collaborations with the executive and legislative branches of state government.
- Enhances the university’s global presence, including leveraging existing and creating new strategic partnerships with international institutions to increase research and instructional opportunities for faculty and students.
- Meets with the Council of Chief Academic Officers of the
university to advise the President on academic standards,
programs, and policies.
Job Responsibilities - Flagship Campus
- Articulates the academic vision and provides leadership in
academic strategic planning. Works with faculty, students, staff, and alumni to promote a shared vision of higher education dedicated to research excellence and exceptional student instruction.
- Oversees all instruction, student support, and research. Identifies opportunities to advance the university’s impact on its students, its state, and society at large through innovative research and academic programming.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and advances excellence
in teaching, scholarship, service, and the quality of all
academic programs and related support functions. Promotes
interdisciplinary and cross-college initiatives that will build on
areas of existing strength.
- Maintains supervisory oversight of the Vice President for
Research & Economic Development, Vice President for Student Affairs, Vice President for Online & Continuing Education, the vice provosts, and the deans. Makes recommendations to the President concerning the organization of the university and the duties and responsibilities of the vice presidents, deans, and
- Executes and maintains all regulations, policies, rules, directives, and memoranda dealing with academic matters at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Coordinates the university’s institutional policy program on behalf of the President, including Permanent Memoranda and Policy Statements.
- Demonstrates and fosters a commitment to shared governance and works closely with shared governing bodies, such as the Faculty Senate, to develop academic policy and maintain standards.
- Develops, implements, and supports strategies to enrich student success, including educational, research, co-curricular, and extracurricular experiences at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Leads efforts to recruit, retain, and provide a positive environment for all students—including attention to first-generation students, veterans, adult learners, and students of different races, religions, nationalities, ethnicities, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and those with disabilities.
- Oversees the university’s efforts in assessment and the
development of policies and programs to ensure that the
university is fully accountable in all aspects of its operations.
- Executes personnel actions and makes recommendations to the President, as delegated.
- Works in concert with the President, the vice presidents, the
deans, and the campus community to strengthen LSU’s reputation as an internationally recognized land-, sea-, and space-grant institution of higher education with the highest Carnegie research classification.
- Works in tandem with the Executive Vice President for Finance & Administration and Chief Administrative Officer to prepare and monitor the operating budget.
- Develops and administers academic budgets. Monitors and
executes salary policy for departments in the reporting line of the position.
- Manages academic facilities and space planning, ensuring
facilities are utilized and created according to the strategic
priorities of the university.
- Provides academic guidance for LSU’s historic $1.5 Billion Fierce for the Future campaign, the largest fundraising campaign for higher education in the history of Louisiana. Partners with the president and CEO of the LSU Foundation, the deans, and the faculty to meet the university’s fundraising objectives.
- Recruits and retains distinguished, diverse faculty members to expand the prominence
and global reach of the university.
Works closely with deans, vice presidents, and faculty to ensure inclusion, equity, and diversity in all its forms.
- Fosters organizational communications both vertically and
horizontally. Assumes responsibility for academic publications, including those of the colleges and departments.
- Supervises additions, deletions, and changes in courses and
curricula and, through the President, reports such changes to
the Board of Supervisors and the Louisiana Board of Regents as necessary.
- Calls and presides over meetings of the Council of Deans.
- Makes recommendations to the President concerning the
academic calendar of the university.
- Adjudicates academic and student appeals and grievances, as appropriate.
- Adjudicates questions of jurisdiction among units reporting to the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Serves, or is represented, on all campus-wide committees and councils that deliberate on the teaching, research, and service functions of the university.