Five College of Engineering Professors Receive Awards for Instructor Excellence
May 21, 2015 | LSU Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Five faculty members from LSU’s College of Engineering on Wednesday were awarded for their efforts to enhance the quality of entry-level courses in engineering, computer science and construction management disciplines.
The Award for Instructor Excellence, which includes a $5,500 one-time cash prize, is given to full-time College faculty members at the assistant professor rank or higher who have demonstrated teaching excellence in undergraduate courses. This is the first year the award has been presented. Recipients include:
- W. Todd Monroe, associate professor, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Jin-Woo Choi, associate professor, Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Nathan E. Brener, instructor, Division of Computer Science and Engineering
- Laura Ikuma, associate professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Michael G. Benton, associate professor, Cain Department of Chemical Engineering (Student Choice Award)
“Early year courses play a critical role in undergraduate retention and set the tone for our students’ future success,” said Richard Koubek, dean of the College. “This award gives us the opportunity to recognize the unique contribution of our faculty who participate in the early years of a student’s journey in the College.”
A dean-appointed, faculty committee selected the first four recipients based on candidates’ peer recommendations, student success rates, student evaluations and other metrics. Students selected the final winner through an online voting process.
The award is part of the Dean’s Fund for Instructor Excellence, established this year by 1963 petroleum engineering alumnus Harry Longwell. Longwell served as the first chairman of the LSU Petroleum Engineering Industry Advisory Committee and was inducted into the College’s Hall of Distinction in 1990.
For more information, contact Sydni Dunn at 225-578-5706, or at firstname.lastname@example.org