Dr. Schneider’s research focuses on how biological and environmental influences interact to impact a child’s path to learning and using language. To address these questions, her research takes a cross-disciplinary, multimodal approach by combining behavioral methods, electroencephalography (EEG), and functional/structural MRI across the fields of neuroscience, psychology, education, and communication sciences. By combining methods and theories from different fields, her research seeks to bridge the gap between basic and applied questions. She is the Director of the Language, Environment and NeuroDevelopment Lab (LEND).
- Developmental Sciences, Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences, National Science Foundation (ID# 2141007; 2021-2024)
- Early Career Award, Society for Research in Child Development (2020-2021)
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, National Science Foundation (2019-2021)
- COBRE Neuroscience Grant for Pilot Funding, National Institute of Health (2019-2021)
- Dean of Graduate Studies Dissertation Research Awards, University of Texas at Dallas (2017-2018)
- PhD Research Small Grants Program, University of Texas at Dallas (2017)
(* indicates student mentored)
- Huang, R., Baker, E. & Schneider, J.M. (accepted). Executive function skills account for bilingual advantage in word learning among low-income preschoolers. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology. https://psyarxiv.com/fnc5k
- Schneider, J.M. Poudel, S.*, Abel, A.D. & Maguire, M.J (2023). Age and vocabulary knowledge differentially influence the N400 and theta responses during word processing. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dcn.2023.101251
- Momsen, J.*, Schneider, J.M. & Abel, A.D. (2022). Developmental differences in EEG oscillations supporting the identification of novel word meaning. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4073273
- McIlvain, G., Schneider, J.M., Matyi, M.A., McGarry, M.D.J., Qi,Z., Spielberg, J.M., Johnson, C.L. (2022). Mapping Brain Mechanical Property Maturation from Childhood to Adulthood. Neuroimage, 263, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2022.119590
- Schneider, J. M., McIlvain, G., & Johnson, C. (2022). Mechanical properties of the developing brain are associated with language input and vocabulary outcome. Developmental Neuropsychology. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/8sb2v
- Schneider, J.M., Weng, Y., Hu, A. & Qi, Z. (2022). Linking the neural basis of hierarchical prediction with statistical learning: The paradox of attention. Neuropsychologia. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/8rtsc
- Schneider, J. M., Abel, A., & Maguire, M. (2022). The role of vocabulary and reading in ameliorating socioeconomic status (SES) related gaps in word learning during the school years. Language Learning and Development. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/5qwtp
- Maguire, M.J., Schneider, J.M., Melamed, T.C., Ralph, Y.K., Poudel, S., Raval, V.M., Mikhail, D. & Abel, A.D. (2022). Temporal and topographical changes in theta power between middle childhood and adolescence during sentence comprehension. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience.
- Schneider, J. M., Abel, A., Momsen, J., Melamed, T.C. & Maguire, M. (2021). Neural oscillations reveal differences in the process of word learning among school-aged children from lower socioeconomic status backgrounds. Neurobiology of Language. https://osf.io/pk524/
- Schneider, J. M., Hu, A., Legault, J., & Qi, Z. (2020). Measuring Statistical Learning Across Modalities and Domains in School-Aged Children Via an Online Platform and Neuroimaging Techniques. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments), (160), e61474
- Ralph, Y.K.*, Schneider, J.M., Abel, A.D. & Maguire, M.J. (2020). Using the N400 Event Related Potential to study word learning from context in children from low and higher socioeconomic status homes. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology. 191, 104758.
- Maguire, M. J., & Schneider, J. M. (2019). Socioeconomic status related differences in resting state EEG activity correspond to differences in vocabulary and working memory in grade school. Brain and cognition, 137, 103619.
- Schneider, J.M. & Maguire, M.J. (2018). Developmental differences in the neural correlates underlying semantic and syntactic skills during sentence processing. Developmental Science doi: 10.1111/desc.12782.
- Schneider, J. M., Abel, A. D., Ogiela, D. A., McCord, C., & Maguire, M. J. (2018). Developmental differences in the neural oscillations underlying auditory sentence processing in children and adults. Brain and language, 186, 17-25.
- Schneider, J.M. & Maguire, M.J. (2018). Identifying the relationship between oscillatory dynamics and event-related responses during auditory sentence processing. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 133, 182-192.
- Abel, A. D., Schneider, J.M., & Maguire, M. J. (2018). N400 Response Indexes Word Learning from Linguistic Context in Children. Language Learning and Development, 14(1), 61-71.
- Maguire, M.J., Schneider, J.M., Middleton, A.E., Ackerman, R., Ralph, Y.K.*, Lopez, M., & Abel, A.D. (2017). The influence of socioeconomic status on word learning from written context in grade school. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology.
- Anatomy and Physiology of Speech
- Cross-cultural Language Development
- Neural basis of language processing
- Language Development
- Experimental Projects and Research Design